E6 (Limit Challenge Varient)
Maximum character level is 6, and subsequent levelups instead grant extra feats, but PCs can gain limit-breaking levels beyond 6th by surpassing certain optional (and very deadly) challenges. Limit-breaking levels do not grant additional hit dice.
PCs and other major characters have
action points, as described in the Eberron Campaign Setting, page 45.
No Alignment System
Characters do not have alignments.
No Automatic Fail/Success
Natural 1s and 20s are not automatic failure or success. Critical hits still function normally.
Clerics, Paladins, Druids, Rangers, and other ‘divine’ classes do not exist in this setting.
The Fighter, Barbarian, and Monk classes are replaced, in no particular order, with the Warblade, Crusader, and Swordsage (see the Book of Nine Swords.)
Artificers fit well into the magical-industrial nature of the setting. Psionic classes are welcome. All other classes are pretty much available. Use whatever official sourcebooks you wish.
All skills are ‘class skills’ for everyone, and every class has at least 4 + INT skill points per level. The skill list has been condensed and customized for the setting.
- Acrobatics [DEX] (Includes Balance, Escape Artist, Jump, and Tumble)
- Athletics [STR] (Includes Climb, Swim, and Ride)
- Concentration [CON] (Includes Autohypnosis)
- Cyphercraft [INT] (Includes Use Magic Device, Spellcraft, Psicraft, and Decipher Script)
- Disguise [CHA]
- Forgery [INT]
- Handle Animal [WIS]
- Heal [WIS]
- Knowledge (Architecture & Engineering) [INT]
- Knowledge (Geography & Explorer’s Lore) [INT]
- Knowledge (History & Politics) [INT]
- Knowledge (Cosmopolitan) [INT]
- Knowledge (Subterranean) [INT]
- Knowledge (The Basin) [INT]
- Knowledge (The Mists) [INT]
- Perception [WIS] (Includes Gather Information, Listen, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot)
- Persuasion [CHA] (Includes Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate)
- Profession [WIS] (Includes Craft, Perform, and potentially other tasks, as appropriate to the profession)
- Speak Language [*]
- Stealth [DEX] (Includes Hide, Move Silently, and Sleight of Hand)
- Tinkering [DEX] (Includes Disable Device, Open Lock, and Use Rope)
Crafting magic items does not cost XP, but does require a base item that is mistmarked (or materials salvaged from a mistmarked item.)